Selig open to Japan-MLB series; talk preliminary | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Selig open to Japan-MLB series; talk preliminary

The Associated Press

NEW YORK – Baseball commissioner Bud Selig has told his Japanese counterpart that he is open to games between the World Series and Japan Series champions, but no steps have been taken for such a matchup.

Selig met this week with Japanese commissioner Ryozo Kato in Milwaukee.

Officials of Major League Baseball and the players’ association said Thursday there had been no discussion of such a plan. An agreement between management and the union would be necessary.

“I was surprised, Mr. Selig said he wants to realize the plan before his tenure ends,” Kato was quoted as saying by Nikkansports.

Selig is scheduled to retire in 2012 and says he won’t extend his term, but many baseball officials think he will stay on longer.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User