Shingles burn in cafe roof fire | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Shingles burn in cafe roof fire

Wooden roof shingles were ignited by a chimney spark at the 3800 block of Saddle Road causing $12,000 in damage.

An alarm Saturday at 12:44 a. m. told South Lake Tahoe firefighters there was trouble at the Christiania Inn. They arrived and found shingles around a fourth-floor flue on fire. A spark or ember ignited resin buildup around the flue.

At the time of the blaze, the fireplace on the first floor was being used but there was no spark arrester on the flue, the fire department said.



The section of roof that caught fire is located above the inn’s restaurant. Firefighters had to remove two large sections of the pitched roof to extinguish the blaze and had the scene cleared by 3 a.m.

South Lake Tahoe Police Department got to the inn first and coordinated evacuation of the guests.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User