Shooting suspect turns himself in
Rigoberto Vega-Aguilar, 20, a suspect in last week’s shooting of 26-year-old Gabriel “Bobby”Munoz, will be arraigned at 8 a.m. Monday in Carson City Justice Court.
He turned himself in to Carson City sheriff’s deputies about 11:30 p.m. Friday, five days after theshooting incident.
Vega-Aguilar is being held on a warrant for attempted murder. Bail was set at $500,000, accordingto Scott Burau, chief deputy for the Carson City Sheriff’s Department.
“The suspect’s mother was constantly in communication with our detectives, and she actually turned him in to the front counter. So it was an arrangement between the mother and the detectives. It worked out quite well and we’re appreciative for the cooperation the family gave us.” Burau said Saturday.
According to the Carson City Sheriff’s Department, Vega-Aguilar was involved in a verbal dispute with Munoz near Menlo Drive and Airport Road about 6:50 p.m. April 30. People at the scene were yelling back and forth. Vega-Aguilar came out of a vehicle and a physical confrontation ensued, according to reports.
Witnesses said Vega-Aguilar stepped back, pulled a semi-automatic hand gun and fired three times, hitting Munoz at least twice. A third bullet lodged in a parked car. Vega-Aguilar fled the scene in a 1994 Toyota Camry. Munoz, who was hit in the hip and leg, was taken to Washoe Medical Center by CareFlight, where he was listed in serious but stable condition Saturday.
In a call to the Nevada Appeal Saturday morning, a friend of Vega-Aguilar’s family, who declined to be identified, said the 20-year-old man shot Munoz in self defense and is asking witnesses to come forward. Sheriff’s deputies have said the shooting was gang-related and that both men are known gang members. Anyone with information regarding the shooting is asked to call deputies at 887-2008.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. — No new action was taken regarding the ordinance governing the personal use of cannabis at Tuesday’s El Dorado County Board of Supervisor’s meeting.