Singh withdraws from Houston Open | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Singh withdraws from Houston Open

HUMBLE, Texas – Vijay Singh withdrew from the Houston Open on Thursday because of a back injury, the third time in three weeks that he’s pulled out of a tournament.

Singh played nine holes in the first round, shooting a 43 with two double bogeys, before walking off the course. He also withdrew from the Transitions Championship two weeks ago and the Arnold Palmer Invitational last week.

“I think it’s the recurrence,” Singh said. “It’s not as bad as what it was in Tampa, but I think if I kept going, it was going to go that way.”

Singh, who tied for fourth at the Honda Classic and tied for 11th at Doral before withdrawing from the Transitions, said he’ll take the next four days off and “see what happens.”

“It affects me when I’m hitting balls,” he said. “It’s not my normal golf swing.”

Earlier Thursday, defending Houston Open champion Paul Casey withdrew because of a left shoulder injury. The 32-year-old Englishman is hoping the latest injury is “just a one-week thing” and won’t keep him out of the Masters next week.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User