Small fire burns behind store | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Small fire burns behind store

A wildland fire burned a 100-by-50-foot area in a meadow behind Albertsons Tuesday around 9:30 a.m.

It may have been sparked by a homeless person’s cooking fire, said South Lake Tahoe Fire Capt. Steve Taylor. The first person to notice smoke from the blaze was Lonnie Hathway, a beer distributor who had stopped to make a delivery.

“I looked over and was like ‘There’s no way it’s a burn day,'” he said. “I saw it from the back of the store, thought it was strange and came down to check it out.”



Hathway said he threw some dirt on the fire and moved some burning logs away from a dense grove of young pines before firefighters arrived. The blaze was controlled by 10 a.m.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User