Smoked out | TahoeDailyTribune.com

Smoked out

Susan Wood
Dan Thrift / Tahoe Daily Tribune / Rafael Cardenas, with All Pro Cleaning & Restoration Services, works the carpet on a Zuni Street home Monday.
ALL |

Mary Magana may consider herself lucky that her Zuni Street home still stands after the Angora fire ripped through her neighborhood. But with windows on both floors open, ash blanketed her floors, furniture and belongings.

“It looked like dust was all over,” she said Sunday from her son’s home. She was in Reno on the day of the fire.

Magana had to leave her home when she returned to it Wednesday and realized the smoke was thick and smelly. The fire burned to the edge of the house.

“The smell was horrendous. It hurt my lungs, nose and eyes. My insurance adjuster said I should wear a mask,” she said.

Her insurance provider called on All Pro Cleaning & Restoration Services, a company based in Elmsford, N.Y., with a district office in Placerville. Project Manager Chuck Genter said the company has serviced Lake Tahoe for five years but had just opened up a South Shore office three months ago. It specializes in disaster recovery caused by fire, water, smoke or vandalism.

The company has been busy since the fire – with Magana’s home being its 20th appointment the day it moved items out of the house.

Genter and staff arranged for a moving truck to remove the furniture, clothes, computer equipment and electronics. Apparently, smoke and debris breaks down computer components and wiring.

From there, All Pro runs an ozone machine that essentially neutralizes the air of the damaged structure. Items are wiped down with cleaning solutions after removal. The complete job can range from $8,000 to $60,000, and Magana said her insurance has agreed to pay a $16,000 bill.

“Smoke sticks to everything,” All Pro Cleaning worker Rafael Cardenas said.


Support Local Journalism

Your support means a better informed community. Donate today.


News


See more