Soldering leads to Keys fire | TahoeDailyTribune.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Soldering leads to Keys fire

A faulty propane torch is believed to be the reason behind a fire that caused more than $50,000 in damages to a two-story Tahoe Keys home Thursday, said Bill Gilliland, division chief for the South Lake Tahoe Fire Department.

Firefighters responded Thursday afternoon to a fire at 2168 Monterey Drive. They had the fire under control within 20 minutes, but not before it gutted the attic and spread to the structure’s upstairs. The entire house was damaged by smoke.

The homeowner had some singed hairs and was treated and released at the scene.



The owner was soldering pipes in the attic. Gilliland said the fire department believes fuel leaked from the hose on the propane torch he was using. The bottle then caught on fire.

Gilliland estimated structural damage to be $50,000. Content damage was about $20,000.




The fire department received the call about 2:12 p.m., and three engines from South Lake Tahoe Fire Department and Lake Valley Fire Protection District responded.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User