South Tahoe drops JV football team
August 22, 2009
A small turnout has prompted the South Tahoe High football program to make a few changes before its season begins on Aug. 29.
The school has elected to drop its junior varsity program at least for the first part of the season, according to South Tahoe Athletic Director Don Borges. South Tahoe has also subtracted a game with defending state champion McQueen from its schedule Sept. 11. Douglas has agreed to fill in and play the Lancers.
“STHS will be recruiting for more sophomore football players and will keep all teams informed of our progress to get numbers to have a JV team,” Borges said. “We are hoping to get more football players out once school starts.”
School is scheduled to begin Sept. 8.
Until a JV program is reinstated, 15 sophomores will play with the varsity. Borges reported that there are enough players to operate the freshman team as usual, and there was some consideration give to dropping the frosh squad and keeping the JV.
The elimination of the game at McQueen leaves South Tahoe with a nine-game schedule. The Lancers defeated South Tahoe 48-7 last year.
Recommended Stories For You
“The decision was done with McQueen, Douglas and South Tahoe having input by the ADs and coaches,” Borges said.
When conditioning drills for South Tahoe started on Aug. 13, a combined 50 players turned out for the school’s three teams.
South Tahoe was scheduled to scrimmage on Saturday at 10:30 a.m.