All-Comers meets gaining popularity
August 13, 2008
Track and field enthusiasts have only two more chances to compete in the weekly city of South Lake Tahoe Parks and Recreation All-Comers meets at the Community Youth Sports Complex at South Tahoe Middle School.
The final Thursday meet is today, starting with registration at 5 p.m. Field events commence at 5:30 p.m., and running events at 5:45 p.m. Kids 10 and under will compete starting at 6:15 p.m.
Entry is free.
A championship meet is planned for 10 a.m. Aug. 23. Participants don’t need to qualify for the finals, and registration is at 9 a.m.
Meet director Anthony Davis said that interest in the meets has steadily picked up throughout the summer.
“Word is slowly getting out after not doing one for nine years.. Some people have been coming from Placerville, and pole vaulters are coming up from Reno,” said Davis, who reported 75 participants last week. “It’s a great family atmosphere.”
Recommended Stories For You
One of the highlights of the weekly meets is the family relay. Last week, Greg Felton’s family outran Martin Crawford’s for first place. Also, there were 17 participants for the 1,500-meter race.
Trending In: Sports
- Vikings baseball off to hot start, sweeps North Valleys
- Incline star Redfern sweeps MVP awards, freshman Stranzl earns top honors
- South Tahoe’s Griffis signs to play football for Presentation College
- State Champs! Incline Village prevails over The Meadows School in Las Vegas
- Champion Highlanders clean up with state, league basketball awards