Another swimmer went lake’s distance of Lake Tahoe
August 23, 2005
Not included in Tuesday’s swimming package in the Tahoe Daily Tribune was the account of Roger Collins’ swim across Lake Tahoe more than 20 years ago.
On Aug. 1, 1979, Collins, then 26, swam from Tahoe Vista Marina in Kings Beach to Ski Run Marina on South Shore. Collins, who at the time lived in Watsonville, Calif., but now lives in South Lake Tahoe, finished the swim in 14 hours, 25 minutes.
Collins had several witnesses and a story was published in the Tribune describing his feat.
According to Tribune records, there have been 10 successful attempts of people swimming the length of Lake Tahoe. Nine different athletes have completed the swim. In 2003, Laura Colette swam the distance twice.
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- STMS boys cross country wins 7th grade race at Tah-Neva Championships
- South Tahoe’ Holmes finishes senior year with 3rd place at state meet
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Sustainable Community Alliance submits signatures for initiative to maintain South Lake Tahoe VHR cap
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe