Apocotos selected for all-star game
December 17, 2003
UC Davis and Tribune reports
Former Whittell High soccer player Dusty Apocotos is among five UC Davis senior football players who have been invited to participate in postseason all-star games.
Apocotos, a placekicker, free safety Ejiro Evero and offensive guard Forest Vance kicker will partake in the Cactus Bowl on Jan. 9. Offensive tackle Brad Lekkerkerker will play in the East-West Shrine Game on Jan. 10 in San Francisco and Vance and quarterback Ryan Flanigan have been invited to the Las Vegas All-American Classic – formerly known as the Paradise Bowl – on Jan. 17.
Apocotos enjoyed one of the most productive kicking seasons in school history, connecting on 15 of 19 attempts. His made field goals are second for a season in school history while his attempts are tied for second.
Additionally, Apocotos converted a pair of 49-yard field goals which are tied for seventh-longest in school history. He also made 32 of 34 extra-point attempts and ranks among the career and single-season leaders in both categories.
The Cactus Bowl is a Div. II all-star game. UC Davis players were invited because although the program is in its first year reclassifying to Div. I-AA status, the program is still officially classified as Div. II.
Recommended Stories For You
UC Davis finished its first of four seasons reclassifying from Div. II to I-AA status with a 6-4 record, posting its 34th straight winning campaign.
Trending In: Sports
- Lady Vikings golfers set personal bests, earn highest finish in years
- Lady Vikings soccer crushing league opponents
- Incline football gives strong effort, but overrun by Pershing County
- Incline netters cruise to 3 league wins, stay unbeaten
- Preps roundup: Viking volleyers win 2 of 3; Buchholz sets personal best
- DA: Former Lake Tahoe Humane Society director pleads guilty to embezzlement (updated)
- Traps reignite controversy over Nevada Department of Wildlife bear management
- Ken’s Tires Center celebrates 40 years in South Lake Tahoe
- Douglas County conducts online survey on vacation home rentals
- El Dorado County supervisor candidates find some common ground on VHR regulations