A’s use late rally to win minors title
June 17, 2007
By Paul Andrew
Tribune staff writer
A six-run fifth inning propelled the A’s to a 9-6 victory over the Angels in the South Tahoe National Little League minor league championship on Sunday afternoon.
“Our team was tough this year,” said A’s coach Thurman Eddy. “We played like the Bad News Bears. We are really proud of all of them.”
The Angels started strong, scoring two in the second inning on RBI singles by Trevor Bomar and Shane Smith. They followed with a run in the third on an RBI single by Jordan Switzer, giving the Angels a 3-0 lead.
Pitcher Oliver Ortiz threw two strong innings, shutting down the powerful hitters of the first-place A’s.
Recommended Stories For You
The A’s answered with three runs in their half of the third on consecutive hits by Jesse Crouch and Caleb Eddy, a walk to Logan Brewer, followed by RBIs tallied by Jarret Young and Bryan Pease. Crouch also excelled on the mound, keeping the A’s close until their bats came around by allowing just three runs in 4 1/3 innings.
The score remained tied until the fifth, when the Angels’ Kirby David tripled to drive in two, then scored on a fielder’s choice to give his team a 6-3 lead.
Morgan Montoya led off the bottom of the fifth with a single, followed by an array of walks and hit batsmen that gave the A’s the 9-6 lead heading into the last inning.
In the sixth, the Angels were able to load the bases, but pitcher Logan Brewer struck out the final batter to preserve the championship.
“We were worried when we were behind,” Brewer said. “I never knew we would get this far.”
Eddy led the A’s with two doubles and two runs scored, with Young contributing a single and a double.
David and and Trevor McCullough each recorded two hits for the Angels.
Trending In: Sports
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- Incline tracksters to be well-represented in Carson City
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- Tips for a safe and fun kayaking trip on Lake Tahoe
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Amgen Tour of California road closure information for Lake Tahoe