Babe Ruth season opener Sunday
May 2, 2003
About 100 young, Tahoe-area baseball players are gearing up for another start to the South Tahoe Babe Ruth League regular season on Sunday, as eight teams will take to Todd Fields for a shot at winning the league tournament in late June.
Provided the weather plays along, Babe Ruth games will be held Monday through Thursday beginning at 5:30 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday at varying times, with Memorial Day weekend excluded. The regular season ends June 22 and is followed by the post-season tourney.
Last year’s champions were the Cubs for the regular season, and the Mariners in the post-season tournament.
Sunday’s season opener will feature all eight teams in action at Todd Fields, with two games starting at noon and two more at 3 p.m. Opening ceremonies are scheduled for 2:30 p.m.
Cathy Gibb, in her first year as Babe Ruth president, predicts a great baseball season in store for participants, noting that each team will play three games per week.
“It’s not too late to register,” Gibb said. “Since we have some teams with 12 players and others with 13, we do have a few open spots and we can add players.”
Recommended Stories For You
Anyone interested in signing up should call Gibb at (530) 541-1973.
Trending In: Sports
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- South Tahoe sends nearly a dozen swimmers to state meet
- Incline’s baseball magic runs out in playoffs
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar
- Big mudslide blocks US 395 near Nevada-California state line (updated)