Barna makes Mid-South first team
May 2, 2003
Chris Barna’s season numbers had all the makings of a Mid-South Conference first-teamer.
The Lambuth University catcher, who played his prep baseball at South Tahoe, hit for the NIAA conference’s sixth-best average (.380) and was seventh in RBIs with 31. Barna also delivered the Mid-South’s ninth-best hit total with 46.
“There’s no doubt this has been his best year,” said Lambuth manager Wayne Albury, who signed Barna sight unseen more than three years ago. “He’s been a tremendous student, a tremendous player and a tremendous leader on our team.”
His first-team selection was an honor won with his bat, because his defense behind the plate has always been near the top of the conference. Barna threw out 50 percent of the runners who tried to steal on him.
“It’s nice to know the conference recognized how hard I’ve been working,” said Barna, a senior.
Last year, Barna was chosen to the conference’s second team.
Recommended Stories For You
COACH OF THE YEAR
PLAYER OF THE YEAR
PITCHER OF THE YEAR
FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR
Luke VanWinkle, 1B – Lambuth University
Mike Marsden, 2B – Lambuth University
Jose Gutierrez, SS – Lambuth University
Brooks Ewing, 3B – Lindsey Wilson College
Artuta Alicea, IF – Pikeville College
Teddy Dahlman, OF – Lindsey Wilson College
Justin McMahan, OF – Lambuth University
David Bradstreet, OF – Campbellsville University
Derek Christerson, OF – Cumberland College
Alex Eaton, C – Lindsey Wilson College
Chris Barna, C – Lambuth University
Matt Antle, P – Campbellsville University
Duffer Harrison, P – Lambuth University
Josh Bertram, P – Cumberland College
Chad Roberts, P – Pikeville College
Scott Allgood, RP – Campbellsville University
Francisco Rodriquez, DH – Lindsey Wilson College
Trending In: Sports
- STMS boys cross country wins 7th grade race at Tah-Neva Championships
- Incline Village freshman Jenkins wins state Class 2A title in high jump
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- Lake Tahoe School excels at track, field league championships
- Otomo helps Viking girls earn 4th at state swim meet
- South Lake Tahoe police investigating robbery at credit union
- Forest Service: Spread the word on Leave No Trace ethics in Lake Tahoe
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe
- Study finds bears hibernating less with warmer winters, access to human food (video)
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail