Blue team wins testy Sertoma Classic
June 22, 2008
For a period of time Friday night, it looked like the Sertoma All-Star Classic football game might be headed for a classic finish at Mackay Stadium in Reno.
With the Blue team leading 24-14 and the Silver team attempting to stall a Blue drive on third and short with little over two minutes left in the game, it appeared that things could get pretty interesting.
And they did, just not in the sense everyone was thinking.
The Silver was called for an encroachment penalty on the ensuing play, during which a Silver lineman shoved a blue lineman nearly five yards off the ball.
The play after ended in a fight, during which the Silver team was called for unnecessary roughness and the play after that ended with yet another fight.
The referee called the game at just under the two-minute mark, declaring the Blue team the winner.
Recommended Stories For You
South Tahoe High’s Matt Yuen played for the Blue team and was the lone South Shore player in the game.
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- South Tahoe’ Holmes finishes senior year with 3rd place at state meet
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- Shooting restrictions affect Tahoe region, gun safety urged