Boreal racers brave icy conditions in Far West competition
February 5, 2003
About 250 young athletes turned up at Boreal Mountain Resort on Feb. 1-2, braving icy conditions and an intermittent drizzle in the Far West division slalom competition for J4 /5 skiers.
Heavenly Ski Foundation bumpers landed in some of the top spots, though Squaw Valley Ski Team members took home many of the first-place finishes.
In J4 boys 11-12, Robert Pulford of HSF took second and third with total times of one minute, 19.12 seconds and 1:09.66. Wil Prim of Squaw Valley finished first in both races with times of 1:18.10 and 1:09.30 and Jake Baker of Sierra-at-Tahoe placed third and fifth with times of 1:19.35 and 1:10.61. HSL’s Kyle Smaine placed 10th and14th at 1:16.70 and 1:27.30.
In J5 boys 10-and-under class, HSF’s Justin Smaine placed third and fourth with times of 1:26.29 and 1:17.51. SVST’s Bryce Bennett took home two first-place finishes with times of 1:13.78 and 1:23.82 and Kirkwood Ski Education Foundation’s Tyler Sambrallo finished second with times of 1:14.98 and 1:23.96.
HSF’s Dillon McKean had a third-place finish at 1:16.69 and Luca Genasci finished fifth at 1:18.44. HSF’s Danny Souza tied for fourth place with a time of 1:26.96. Other top-10 finishers for HSF were Austin Norton, Genasci and Ty Sprock.
In the J4 girls, HSF’s Christine Pulford placed fifth in one race with a time of 1:24.85, followed by Dana Nott with a time of 1:24.93.
Recommended Stories For You
Robert Pulford, Kyle Smaine, Christine Pulford and Dana Nott of HSF will travel to Snow Summit in Southern California Saturday for three runs of shoot-out style slalom and GS against some of the top J4 competition in the state in order to qualify for the Western Regional J4 Festival in Big Mountain, Mont.
All HSF J4/5s will meet Far West division rivals in Mammoth March 1-2 for a pair of super-Gs.
Trending In: Sports
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- South Tahoe sends nearly a dozen swimmers to state meet
- Incline’s baseball magic runs out in playoffs
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar
- Big mudslide blocks US 395 near Nevada-California state line (updated)