Boreal to host Grand Prix snowboarding event
August 20, 2008
Boreal Mountain Resort was selected to host one of three stops on the 2008-09 U.S. Snowboarding Grand Prix tour.
The world’s best snowboarders, including Nate Holland, Seth Wescott, Tommy Czeschin, Hannah Teter, Lindsey Jacobellis and 2007-2008 Grand Prix Champion Louie Vito, will compete at Boreal from Jan. 30-Feb. 1 on a custom-built boardercross course and a superpipe with 22-foot walls.
Going on its 13th year, the Grand Prix has established itself as an exclusive snowboard tour in the United States, with competitors vying for an overall purse of $300,000.
“Obtaining the Grand Prix is a huge honor for Boreal,” said Eric Rosenwald, Boreal’s Terrain Park Director. “The industry has recognized the hard work we have done to bring innovative terrain parks to the Tahoe area.”
Tom Hecker, a 56-year-old marathon swimmer from San Diego, planned to begin his quest to swim the length of Lake Tahoe on Tuesday night.
Hecker had originally intended to leave Camp Richardson on Monday night, but a substantial increase in wind velocity changed those plans.
Recommended Stories For You
“The window is between 8 p.m. and noon (Wednesday),” Hecker said. “We’re going to take a stab at it, or I’ll go home.”
Hecker is trying to become the 13th-known person to swim the length of lake. His 22.1-mile attempt is from Camp Richardson to Incline Village.
Perennial power Tahoe Quik Lube continues its quest for a championship tonight during the semifinal round of the Douglas County Parks and Recreation Department flag football league playoffs.
Tahoe faces Harrah’s tonight at 6 in one semifinal at Zephyr Cove Park, while Mangy Mackinaw squares off against Meeks at 7:15 p.m.
Trending In: Sports
- Sierra-at-Tahoe 2018-19 season passes available for purchase
- Diamond Peak Ski Resort kicks off early bird 2018-19 season pass sale
- Heavenly’s backcountry requires common sense, not cell phones
- First person to swim length of Lake Tahoe reflects back on 1955 feat
- 13 STMS wrestlers headed to Tah-Neva Championships
- Lake Tahoe weather: Another winter storm could bring several feet of snow in Sierra high country
- Couple to get $2.5M after police called abduction by Lake Tahoe lawyer a hoax
- El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office IDs bodies recovered from Fallen Leaf Lake
- Lake Tahoe ski resorts report over 4 feet of snow in 48 hours
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3 feet of snow at some ski resorts; another 1-3 feet of snow possible