Boreal to host Grand Prix snowboarding event
August 20, 2008
Boreal Mountain Resort was selected to host one of three stops on the 2008-09 U.S. Snowboarding Grand Prix tour.
The world’s best snowboarders, including Nate Holland, Seth Wescott, Tommy Czeschin, Hannah Teter, Lindsey Jacobellis and 2007-2008 Grand Prix Champion Louie Vito, will compete at Boreal from Jan. 30-Feb. 1 on a custom-built boardercross course and a superpipe with 22-foot walls.
Going on its 13th year, the Grand Prix has established itself as an exclusive snowboard tour in the United States, with competitors vying for an overall purse of $300,000.
“Obtaining the Grand Prix is a huge honor for Boreal,” said Eric Rosenwald, Boreal’s Terrain Park Director. “The industry has recognized the hard work we have done to bring innovative terrain parks to the Tahoe area.”
Tom Hecker, a 56-year-old marathon swimmer from San Diego, planned to begin his quest to swim the length of Lake Tahoe on Tuesday night.
Hecker had originally intended to leave Camp Richardson on Monday night, but a substantial increase in wind velocity changed those plans.
Recommended Stories For You
“The window is between 8 p.m. and noon (Wednesday),” Hecker said. “We’re going to take a stab at it, or I’ll go home.”
Hecker is trying to become the 13th-known person to swim the length of lake. His 22.1-mile attempt is from Camp Richardson to Incline Village.
Perennial power Tahoe Quik Lube continues its quest for a championship tonight during the semifinal round of the Douglas County Parks and Recreation Department flag football league playoffs.
Tahoe faces Harrah’s tonight at 6 in one semifinal at Zephyr Cove Park, while Mangy Mackinaw squares off against Meeks at 7:15 p.m.
Trending In: Sports
- Lady Vikings soccer crushing league opponents
- South Tahoe boys’ soccer latest to fall against 3A newcomer North Valleys
- Preps roundup: Viking volleyers win 2 of 3; Buchholz sets personal best
- Incline netters cruise to 3 league wins, stay unbeaten
- Whittell gridders excited for home game, field dedication
- Ken’s Tires Center celebrates 40 years in South Lake Tahoe
- Whittell celebrates Lisa Maloff, football team crushes Smith Valley at new digs
- El Dorado County supervisor candidates find some common ground on VHR regulations
- Re-vamped Apple Hill shuttle gets a test drive
- What lies in the depths of Lake Tahoe’s waters? (video)