Cherry, Buchanan advance to state tennis tournament
October 19, 2008
After not sending a doubles team to the state tournament from 2001 to 2007, South Tahoe might be starting a new trend.
Lindsey Buchanan and Savannah Cherry will be a No. 2 seed at the Nevada 4A state tournament following their runner-up finish in the Northern 4A regional tennis tournament on Saturday at Carson High School. Buchanan and Cherry are the second STHS doubles team in eight years to advance to state, with Chela Wahl and Jenny Wiseman having also qualified in 2007.
Buchanan and Cherry won four consecutive matches to reach the championship match, where they lost to Galena’s Lindy Deller and Adie Potter, 6-3, 6-3. Buchanan and Cherry will find out their state quarterfinal opponent today or Tuesday.
They will either face another No. 2 seed or a No. 1 seed in the quarterfinals. The single-elimination tournament begins Friday at Carson High School.
In the girls’ singles tournament, South Tahoe’s Rebecca Roberts won her first-round match on Thursday before losing to eventual regional champion Amelia Ritger of Douglas in Friday’s second round.
In the boys’ doubles tournament, the Vikings’ Nick Kushner and Jordan Zager won their first-round match on Friday 6-3, 6-4 before falling in the second round. Derek Garafalos and Philip Gaston lost in the first round.
Recommended Stories For You
In the boys’ singles tournament, South Tahoe’s David Grand lost to McQueen’s Joey Saarem in Friday’s second round. Grand finished with a 20-6 record.
Reno’s Jeff Mullen won his second straight regional title and third in four years with a win over Bishop Manogue’s Phillip Hinjosa in the championship.
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- South Tahoe’ Holmes finishes senior year with 3rd place at state meet
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- Shooting restrictions affect Tahoe region, gun safety urged
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Sustainable Community Alliance submits signatures for initiative to maintain South Lake Tahoe VHR cap
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe