CUFA Tahoe Fall Classic soccer tournament makes debut; STFC Challengers, Hustle Blue win U-11 championships
November 5, 2016
The inaugural CUFA Tahoe Fall Classic brought 60 teams from across Northern California and Nevada to the South Shore last month to battle on the pitch. Tahoe Soccer Foundation and South Tahoe Futbol Club put on the two-day tournament held Sept. 17-18.
On the field, two local teams delivered the championships at the U-11 level. South Tahoe FC Challengers won the boys title by beating FC Elk Grove 06B Elite 1 1-0, and STFC Hustle Blue won the girls crown over Sagebrush SC Lady Nomads 06 with a 2-0 result in the final.
South Tahoe FC Tough finished second in the girls U-14 division, falling to Sagebrush SC Lady Nomads 03 1-0 in the championship match. The tournament featured teams ranging in age from U-11 to U-18, with games played at five locations on the South Shore.
CUFA Tahoe Fall Classic is a counterpart to the annual Come Up For Air tournament in the summer, which has run for two decades and featured 158 teams in 2016. Tahoe Soccer Foundation estimates that 4,000 visitors came to South Lake Tahoe for the inaugural event, providing an economic impact during shoulder season.
South Tahoe Football Club and Tahoe Soccer Foundation wished to express their appreciation for the support from South Lake Tahoe and the surrounding soccer community for welcoming and participating in the CUFA Tahoe Fall Classic. For more information on the tournaments, visit http://www.tahoecufa.com.
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- South Tahoe’ Holmes finishes senior year with 3rd place at state meet
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- Shooting restrictions affect Tahoe region, gun safety urged
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Sustainable Community Alliance submits signatures for initiative to maintain South Lake Tahoe VHR cap
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe