Former STHS coach leads Golden Eagles into state quarterfinals
March 8, 2006
Former South Tahoe High coach Tom Orlich moved within three victories of his first state championship on Tuesday night.
Orlich’s West Clovis Golden Eagles withstood a stern test from Taft 77-67 in a CIF Southern Section Divison I boys’ basketball game in Clovis.
The Golden Eagles, the No. 2 seed, only led by four points early in the fourth quarter and needed to fend off a game Taft team that was playing its third game in four days.
“In the state playoffs you have to be good, you have to be tough and you have to be a little lucky,” Orlich told the Fresno Bee on Tuesday. “Tonight we were a little lucky.”
Clovis West (30-2) will try to make the Southern Section finals for the first time under Orlich when they play host to La Costa Canyon of Carlsbad (29-4) tonight in Clovis.
Trending In: Sports
- Lake Tahoe weather: Another winter storm could bring several feet of snow in Sierra high country
- El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office IDs bodies recovered from Fallen Leaf Lake
- Update: No sign of missing Bear Valley skier
- Couple to get $2.5M after police called abduction by Lake Tahoe lawyer a hoax
- Lake Tahoe snowpack doubles in March — and more on the way