Golfers ace the start of season
May 29, 2003
Golf courses in the area are in full swing and that means the aces are already dropping.
Leading a parade of early season aces is Stephen Weiss. Weiss, the city’s parks superintendent, aced the 140-yard par-3 hole at Bijou Municipal Course with an 8-iron.
Bijou’s ninth hole, a 145-yard test, was aced by South Lake Tahoe’s Joey Rodriques with an 8-iron on his birthday.
Also, Carl Woodward scored a hole-in-one on the 182-yard par-3 fourth hole Sunday at Tahoe Paradise Golf Course. The Stateline man used a 5-iron.
Tahoe Paradise Head Pro Dave Gilpin recorded the final ace last season by holing out on the 95-yard third hole with a sand wedge.
Tahoe Paradise opened the other half of its 18-hole layout on Saturday. Green fees are $36 to walk and $52 to ride and TPGC is now open.
Recommended Stories For You
The Sacramento State University ice hockey team will host a youth hockey camp July 28-31 at the South Lake Tahoe Ice Arena.
Receive instruction from Sacramento State coaches and players as well as others. Campers will receive 4 hours of ice time daily and personalized instruction.
All ages and abilities are welcome. The cost is $250 per skater, $150 for goalies and discounts for families.
For more information, contact Chris Perry, program director for the ice arena, at (530) 542-0277 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tryouts for the Tahoe Fire girls’ softball summer team is from 3 to 6 p.m. Friday at the South Tahoe High Field of Dreams.
Girls ages 10 to 14 are eligible. The team will play in four local weekend tournaments during the summer and practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3 to 6 p.m.
For more information, contact Anne Diaz at (530) 544-5970.
Douglas County Parks & Recreation Department is holding team registration for the upcoming summer adult flag football league through June 5.
Team fees are $250 plus a $100 refundable bond.
The league is scheduled to start June 25 and all games are played on Wednesday nights at Zephyr Cove Park.
For more information, phone Kahle Community Center at (775) 586-7271.
Trending In: Sports
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- South Tahoe sends nearly a dozen swimmers to state meet
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely