Grand, Roberts advance in tennis regionals
October 16, 2008
David Grand, the No. 6 seed from the Sierra League, cruised to a 6-0, 6-0 singles victory in the first round of the Northern 4A regional tennis tournament on Thursday at Carson High School in Carson City.
“That was a walkever, not really much to report there,” said STHS coach Justin Clark. “David isn’t supposed to win the next match, but I think he can win it.”
Grand, who improves to 20-5 on the season, faces McQueen’s Joey Saarem, the No. 3 seed from the High Desert League, in a second-round match on Friday at 11 a.m. in Carson City. The semifinals and finals are Saturday.
Saarem defeated South Tahoe’s Cameron Chase 6-0, 6-2 in another first-round match on Thursday.
“Cameron played his best match of the season,” Clark said. “He was close in every game, though the score doesn’t show it. His tennis is getting better. Unfortunately he is out of the tournament, but I am looking forward to better things from him next year.”
In the girls’ regional tournament at Centennial Park in Carson City, South Tahoe’s Rebecca Roberts won 6-7 (5), 6-2, 6-2 in a first-round match and will face top-seeded Amelia Ritger of Douglas on Friday at 11 a.m. in the second round. The Vikings’ Jenny Wiseman and Alyssa Mlynsky both lost their first-round matches.
Recommended Stories For You
The first round of the regional doubles tournament begins on Friday. The STHS boys doubles teams of Derek Garafalos and Phillip Gaston and Nick Kushner and Jordan Zager both play first-round matches at 8 a.m. at Carson High.
The STHS girls’ teams of Savannah Cherry and Lindsey Buchanan, Hannah Kropf and Amanda Rives and Mariella Penollar and Guadalupe Ramirez have first-round matches starting at 8 a.m. at Centennial Park.
The second round and quarterfinals are on Friday, with the semifinals and finals scheduled for Saturday at Carson High.
The Whittell girls’ JV soccer team tied the Loyalton 5-5 on Thursday at Whittell High School in Zephyr Cove. In the boys’ match, the Warriors JV squad defeated Loyalton’s varsity 5-1.
The Whittell varsity soccer teams play their homecoming games on Friday against Spring Creek. The girls play at 2 p.m., the boys at 4 p.m.
STHS’s volleyball team lost to Manogue 26-24, 25-18, 25-5 in a Sierra Division volleyball match Thursday in Reno.
The Vikings received seven kills by Chelsea Madsen, eight digs by Kasey Roberts and four kills by Caroline Baghdikian.
Whittell High School is looking for a boys’ track and field coach. Interested candidates should contact Steve Maltase, the school’s athletic director, at (775) 588-2446.
– Tribune Sports Editor Steve Yingling contributed to this story.
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- STMS boys cross country wins 7th grade race at Tah-Neva Championships
- Incline Village freshman Jenkins wins state Class 2A title in high jump
- South Tahoe’ Holmes finishes senior year with 3rd place at state meet
- Otomo helps Viking girls earn 4th at state swim meet
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- Sustainable Community Alliance submits signatures for initiative to maintain South Lake Tahoe VHR cap
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- South Lake Tahoe police investigating robbery at credit union