GWHS student awarded Upshaw scholarship
July 12, 2017
George Whittell High School junior Nic Buchholz was presented with the Gene Upshaw Scholarship award Tuesday, July 11, at the annual American Century Championship (ACC) celebrity golf tournament for his achievements in athletics, academics and service work.
The awarded is given to an exemplary GWHS student each year in memory of NFL Hall of Fame player and 10-time ACC golfer Gene Upshaw. Buchholz is the ninth GWHS recipient of the award since its 2009 inception.
"This scholarship means a lot to me because I never thought I could be compared to someone like Gene Upshaw," said Buchholz. "It's really about the foundation about who you are, not only on the field, but off the field … this scholarship has really made me realize I need to bring qualities like selflessness, honesty and hard work — not just in sports — but in my real life, and that will help me create a better future for myself."
The award was presented by Carol Chaplin, Lake Tahoe Visitors Authority president, Gary Quinn, vice president of programming and owned properties at NBC Sports Group and Bryan Davis, director of marketing at Edgewood Tahoe golf course.
Buchholz boasts a 4.09 GPA and said he plans to attend the University of Nevada-Reno and eventually become a physician.
Trending In: Sports
- STMS boys cross country wins 7th grade race at Tah-Neva Championships
- Incline Village freshman Jenkins wins state Class 2A title in high jump
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- Lake Tahoe School excels at track, field league championships
- Otomo helps Viking girls earn 4th at state swim meet
- South Lake Tahoe police investigating robbery at credit union
- Forest Service: Spread the word on Leave No Trace ethics in Lake Tahoe
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe
- Study finds bears hibernating less with warmer winters, access to human food (video)
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail