GWHS student awarded Upshaw scholarship
July 12, 2017
George Whittell High School junior Nic Buchholz was presented with the Gene Upshaw Scholarship award Tuesday, July 11, at the annual American Century Championship (ACC) celebrity golf tournament for his achievements in athletics, academics and service work.
The awarded is given to an exemplary GWHS student each year in memory of NFL Hall of Fame player and 10-time ACC golfer Gene Upshaw. Buchholz is the ninth GWHS recipient of the award since its 2009 inception.
"This scholarship means a lot to me because I never thought I could be compared to someone like Gene Upshaw," said Buchholz. "It's really about the foundation about who you are, not only on the field, but off the field … this scholarship has really made me realize I need to bring qualities like selflessness, honesty and hard work — not just in sports — but in my real life, and that will help me create a better future for myself."
The award was presented by Carol Chaplin, Lake Tahoe Visitors Authority president, Gary Quinn, vice president of programming and owned properties at NBC Sports Group and Bryan Davis, director of marketing at Edgewood Tahoe golf course.
Buchholz boasts a 4.09 GPA and said he plans to attend the University of Nevada-Reno and eventually become a physician.
Trending In: Sports
- South Lake Tahoe’s Jamie Anderson named to 2018-19 US Snowboard Team
- Heavenly, Kirkwood and Northstar ski resorts announce 2018-19 opening dates
- South Tahoe volleyball fights back, but falls in state semifinals
- Shooting restrictions affect Tahoe region, gun safety urged
- Incline volleyers rally falls short in state championships
- ELECTION UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe’s Measure T passing by 58 votes
- Tahoe Regional Planning Agency approves US 50 South Shore Community Revitalization Project
- Tahoe Keys Marina vows legal action after City Council rejects land swap appeal
- South Lake Tahoe man jailed after allegedly selling pot to minors
- Lake Tahoe weather: Northern California wildfires could impact air quality in region