Heat uses extra-base hits to beat Red Rockets
May 23, 2003
Shaylene McLaughlin smacked a bases-clearing triple to lead the Blue Heat to a 15-2 High Sierra ASA Softball League major division victory over the Red Rockets last week at South Tahoe High.
McLaughlin wasn’t alone in hitting one for extra baxes. Allyson Schimmel and Holly Connelly stroked doubles.
Blue kept the heat on its opponents in the field as well with shortstop Cristina Urreaga snaring a line drive, then firing to Sara Morris at second base for a scintillating double play.
In other major division games, Black Ice used the pitching-and-catching combination of Marina Diaz and Abby Kingman to down the Red Rockets 19-16. Kingman also delivered a double.
Schimmel and McLaughlin pitched the Blue Heat to a 7-2 triumph over the Green Wave. The Heat’s daring baserunning led to many of their runs.
The Wave’s Sierra Jet clubbed a double.
Recommended Stories For You
Also winning last week were the Sluggers with a 10-3 victory over Green Wave.
In minor division action, Ellen Dupree was double trouble, hitting a pair of two-baggers in the Blue Heats’ 6-3 loss to the Green Giants. Lindsay Whalen also drilled a double for the Heat.
In perhaps the stellar pitching performance of the week, Cindy Lucero struck out six in the Red Flames’ 12-1 romp over Blue Heat.
Brittany Rohrich of the Angels and the Giants’ Alexis Robinson slugged a double in the Blue Angels’ 5-1 decision over the Green Giants.
The Blue Angels launched an impressive hitting attack in a 7-2 triumph over the Red Flames. Glory Pillsbury, Terra Backinger and Sarah Breisacher each went 2 for 2. Ashley Killen and Emily Dixon scored a run for the Flames.
In farm division play, defense was the story in the Black Diamonds’ 3-1 win over the Blue Angels. The Diamonds’ Darby Reed made the plays at first base, while shortstop Molly Palmer stopped a smash.
The Angels were also up to the task on defense with Adriana Campagna catching a fly ball and tossing it to Sara Lucero at first base for a double play.
The game’s top hitters were the Diamonds Katie Besson, who was 3 for 3, including a double, and Katelyn Tara, who went 2 for 2.
Brittany Sanchez was 3 for 3 and Haley Allgor doubled in two runs as the Ladybugs cooled off the Blue Heat 15-6. Sanchez also figured in two outs in the field.
For the Heat, Sid Loomis stroked two base hits and Devon Scherbak fielded a grounder to record an out at second base.
The Blue Heat put on a hitting clinic in a 15-7 victory over Black Diamonds. Shannon Colleton collected two doubles and Madison Brubaker, Hannah Schneider, Shelby McIntyre, Sid Loomis and Shannon Colleton each delivered three hits.
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- STMS boys cross country wins 7th grade race at Tah-Neva Championships
- Incline Village freshman Jenkins wins state Class 2A title in high jump
- South Tahoe’ Holmes finishes senior year with 3rd place at state meet
- Otomo helps Viking girls earn 4th at state swim meet
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- Sustainable Community Alliance submits signatures for initiative to maintain South Lake Tahoe VHR cap
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe
- South Lake Tahoe police investigating robbery at credit union
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line