Heavenly, Kirkwood ramp up snowmaking in preparation for upcoming opening days; South Lake Tahoe resort to open Nov. 23
November 19, 2016
Colder temperatures in Tahoe have ushered in winter's arrival, and allowed Heavenly Mountain Resort, Northstar California Resort and Kirkwood Mountain Resort to make snow around the clock. That combined with recent precipitation have Heavenly and Northstar targeting an opening day of Wednesday, Nov. 23, for the 2016-17 season.
All three resorts fired up their snow guns Wednesday, Nov. 16, a day after announcing that they would be pushing back opening day. Kirkwood plans to open as soon as possible, with no date set yet.
The deadline to purchase a season pass is Sunday, Nov. 20, and local options include the Tahoe Value Pass for $479, Tahoe Local Pass for $569 and Epic Pass for $849 — for more information, visit http://www.epicpass.com. Heavenly and Kirkwood are online at http://www.skiheavenly.com and http://www.kirkwood.com.
Trending In: Sports
- Lake Tahoe snowpack doubles in March — and more on the way
- Lake Tahoe weather: Another winter storm could bring several feet of snow in Sierra high country
- Update: No sign of missing Bear Valley skier
- El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office IDs bodies recovered from Fallen Leaf Lake
- Lake Tahoe weather: Winter storm warning, flood watch take effect Wednesday