Heavenly, Northstar push back opening days to Nov. 23; Kirkwood to announce new date
November 15, 2016
Heavenly Mountain Resort and Northstar California Resort have set a new target opening day for the 2016-17 season of Wednesday, Nov. 23. The change was announced Tuesday morning, Nov. 15, and moves the kickoff date five days back from their originally scheduled openings.
Kirkwood Mountain Resort, also originally scheduled to open this Friday, will continue with ski season preparations. Kirkwood will announce its opening day as soon as possible following the opening of Heavenly and Northstar.
Shops, restaurants and activities in Heavenly Village and The Village at Northstar will still open Friday. Heavenly will offer scenic gondola rides and Ridge Rider Mountain Coaster tours Saturday, Nov. 19 and Sunday, Nov. 20.
"Heavenly and Northstar are committed to providing the best snow surface conditions at Lake Tahoe, and the added days for preparation will help to deliver the high-quality opening day ski experience that our guests expect," said Pete Sonntag, Heavenly's senior vice president of mountain division and chief operating officer.
"National Weather Service shows an approaching trend for cold temperatures and snow, and our teams will continue to make snow at every opportunity. We're looking forward to continuing with opening day preparations and for a terrific ski season."
Trending In: Sports
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- South Tahoe sends nearly a dozen swimmers to state meet
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely