Heavenly, Northstar push back opening days to Nov. 23; Kirkwood to announce new date
November 15, 2016
Heavenly Mountain Resort and Northstar California Resort have set a new target opening day for the 2016-17 season of Wednesday, Nov. 23. The change was announced Tuesday morning, Nov. 15, and moves the kickoff date five days back from their originally scheduled openings.
Kirkwood Mountain Resort, also originally scheduled to open this Friday, will continue with ski season preparations. Kirkwood will announce its opening day as soon as possible following the opening of Heavenly and Northstar.
Shops, restaurants and activities in Heavenly Village and The Village at Northstar will still open Friday. Heavenly will offer scenic gondola rides and Ridge Rider Mountain Coaster tours Saturday, Nov. 19 and Sunday, Nov. 20.
"Heavenly and Northstar are committed to providing the best snow surface conditions at Lake Tahoe, and the added days for preparation will help to deliver the high-quality opening day ski experience that our guests expect," said Pete Sonntag, Heavenly's senior vice president of mountain division and chief operating officer.
"National Weather Service shows an approaching trend for cold temperatures and snow, and our teams will continue to make snow at every opportunity. We're looking forward to continuing with opening day preparations and for a terrific ski season."
Trending In: Sports
- El Dorado sheriff deputy shoots into car to free trapped bear in South Lake Tahoe (video)
- Historic Lake Tahoe home sells for $10 million
- Lake Tahoe Community College opens Lisa Maloff University Center
- Truck over side of Kingsbury Grade results in discovery of 2nd wreck
- Permanent memorial placed for fallen firefighter killed near Lake Tahoe ski resort