Hibbs’ team wins NorCal title
March 17, 2003
SACRAMENTO — Sam Kirby scored 17 points to lead Foothill of Sacramento past Archbishop Mitty of San Jose, 52-35, to win NorCal boys Division III title Saturday at Arco Arena.
Former South Tahoe High basketball player Drew Hibbs, a 1983-84 Northern Nevada League first-team selection, is the coach of Foothill (31-2).
Foothill, the top seed in the NorCal Division III playoffs, took over the game in the second quarter by holding Mitty to just two points. The Mustangs led 23-15 at the half, and controlled the game thereafter.
Foothill advances to the state championship game at 2:45 p.m. March 22 at Arco Arena.
Selig: A’s need a new park soon
PHOENIX (AP) — After hearing that another AL MVP is probably headed out of Oakland, baseball commissioner Bud Selig stressed again Sunday the need for the Athletics to build a new stadium in the near future.
Recommended Stories For You
“They do need a stadium because in any system you have to increase your revenue,” Selig said. “A club that can’t generate a lot of local revenue is at a huge disadvantage.”
A’s owner Steve Schott told star shortstop Miguel Tejada on Saturday that the team won’t offer him a multiyear contract after this season because the A’s can’t afford him.
Trending In: Sports
- Susie Lake: 8 miles of bliss in Desolation Wilderness
- Incline Village freshman Jenkins wins state Class 2A title in high jump
- STMS boys cross country wins 7th grade race at Tah-Neva Championships
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- Lake Tahoe School excels at track, field league championships