Holmes stays in contention at regionals
October 13, 2008
South Tahoe High’s Alexis Holmes bounced back from a difficult front nine to finish with a first-round total of 90 at the Northern 4A regional golf tournament on Monday at Ruby View Golf Course in Elko.
Holmes shot a 48 on the front nine, including a quadruple bogey on No. 9 – before carding a 42 on the back nine. She’s in 17th place overall going into today’s final round.
“She ended up with a 90, which was her highest score of the season, but she’s still in the hunt,” said STHS coach Marsha Butler. “It was a little difficult for her because she was playing with girls who were shooting 120, 125. Them playing with Alexis really helped their games, but it probably hurt Alexis a little bit.”
The top two teams qualify for next week’s 4A state tournament, with the top five individuals from nonqualifying teams also advancing. With Douglas (334) and Manogue (352) hold the top two spots in the team standings, Holmes is in 11th place among golfers not from Douglas or Manogue.
“She typically shoots in the low 80s,” Butler said. “If she does that, she will be right there at the end.”
Douglas’ Bethany Wurster is in first place after firing a 3-over 75, with Manogue’s Alex Philips in second at 79.
Recommended Stories For You
Incline golfer leads state tournament
Incline High’s Katelyn Wright is leading the Nevada 2A state championship golf tournament after the first of two rounds on Monday in Genoa.
Wright fired a 2-over 74 at Genoa Lakes Golf Club to open a 12-stroke lead over Battle Mountain’s Stephanie Bullock. Today’s final round is at Genoa Golf Resort.
Trending In: Sports
- STMS boys cross country wins 7th grade race at Tah-Neva Championships
- Incline Village freshman Jenkins wins state Class 2A title in high jump
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- Lake Tahoe School excels at track, field league championships
- Otomo helps Viking girls earn 4th at state swim meet
- South Lake Tahoe police investigating robbery at credit union
- Forest Service: Spread the word on Leave No Trace ethics in Lake Tahoe
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe
- Study finds bears hibernating less with warmer winters, access to human food (video)
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail