Kirkwood Mountain Resort set to open Nov. 26, season pass deadline extended two weeks
November 21, 2016
Storms over the weekend brought nearly a foot of snow in some areas of Tahoe, and a layer of snow throughout the basin. The precipitation also allowed Kirkwood Mountain resort to set its 2016-17 season opening day for Saturday, Nov. 26.
"We are excited to open Kirkwood this Saturday. The mountain received an additional 11 inches of fresh snow over the weekend and additional snow is forecast Friday night," said Doug Perini, Kirkwood's vice president and general manager. "Kirkwood is living up to its famed reputation for great snow — even on opening day."
Kirkwood announced its opening day Monday afternoon, following a weekend of snow showers. The big mountain resort will be open for skiing during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend along with Heavenly Mountain Resort and Northstar California Resort, both scheduled to open Wednesday, Nov. 23.
"Recent winter storms and continued cold snowmaking temperatures created ideal conditions to prepare the Best of Tahoe resorts for opening day," said Pete Sonntag, senior vice president of Vail Resorts mountain division and chief operating officer of Heavenly. "We're thrilled to welcome guests with great skiing this holiday weekend at Heavenly, Northstar and Kirkwood."
With the arrival of winter at the three resorts, skiers and riders can celebrate winter with two additional weeks to purchase a season pass. The deadline to purchase a pass has been extended to Sunday, Dec. 4, and local options include the Tahoe Value Pass for $479, Tahoe Local Pass for $569 and Epic Pass for $849.
Trending In: Sports
- South Tahoe’s Langemeier inks letter to play at D1 Jacksonville
- South Tahoe boys basketball edges Lowry in Div. I-A Northern League semifinals, punches ticket to state tournament
- Sierra-at-Tahoe offers free skiing to passholders at neighboring resorts
- Sierra-at-Tahoe race results
- Highlander’s Wallner signs letter to attend, play soccer for Vassar College
- Taqueria Jalisco reopens in new Tallac Avenue location
- Tree falls through home, totals two cars in South Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Ski resorts report 1 foot of new snow; more in forecast for South Shore
- Guest column: Tahoe, El Dorado County & VHRs (opinion)
- Lake Tahoe weather: Up to 7 inches of new snow possible Thursday