Local soccer players fare well in tournament
April 15, 2014
Ahlyssa Jordan Gonzalez and Haley Johnson of South Lake Tahoe played in the Comstock Shootout Tournament this past weekend with the Carson Valley United soccer team.
CV United, in its first in the regular season, came out with confidence in the U-14 age group beating teams from Northern California and Idaho.
In game one, CV United beat Black Nova 3-1 with two goals from Sedona Robinson and one from Maya Smith. Game two was a 3-1 loss against Pacific Storm. Peri Buck scored the lone goal for CV United. In the semifinal game against Soccer Express Team Heat, Sedona Robinson and Maya Smith both tallied two goals to send CV United into the championship game.
In the final game United's defense never let up and held on for the shut out as the game ended in a 1-0 United victory. Jordan Gonzalez, who attends South Tahoe Middle School, scored the winning goal in the first half.
The team wants to recognize coaches, Jeremy Weston, Tim Smith, Freddy Gonzalez and all the parents of CV United, who know what it takes to make a team.
Trending In: Sports
- Lady Vikings golfers set personal bests, earn highest finish in years
- Lady Vikings soccer crushing league opponents
- Incline football gives strong effort, but overrun by Pershing County
- Incline netters cruise to 3 league wins, stay unbeaten
- Preps roundup: Viking volleyers win 2 of 3; Buchholz sets personal best
- DA: Former Lake Tahoe Humane Society director pleads guilty to embezzlement (updated)
- Traps reignite controversy over Nevada Department of Wildlife bear management
- Ken’s Tires Center celebrates 40 years in South Lake Tahoe
- Douglas County conducts online survey on vacation home rentals
- Incline Flume Trail at Lake Tahoe nears completion