Pitching lifts Vikings
April 10, 2014
South Tahoe High School's baseball team beat Sparks 9-1 in a make-up game Wednesday afternoon. The game was originally scheduled for March 29, but postponed due to a snowstorm.
Sergio Burgueno was the starting pitcher and threw the first three innings before being replaced by Garret Harley who threw the next three innings. Harley was replaced by Liam Loftis who recorded the last three outs. All three pitchers combined for four hits and one run.
"It starts with our pitching," said head coach Starbuck Teevan. "If the pitchers can throw strikes it keeps our defense off the field and our offense on the field."
Senior RJ Rivera came out with some big at-bats going 2-for-4 with three RBIs. Juniors Kolby Eymann and Dakota Lynch each went 2-for-4 with an RBI.
"I think we have a tough line-up, one through nine. We're getting contribution all the way through, not just the big bats," said Teevan "(We) played pretty good defense and didn't make any costly mistakes."
This was the Vikings and Railroaders last match-up of the regular season with South Tahoe going 3-0 in the series. The win brings the Vikings winning streak to eight games with the last loss coming against Elko on March 21.
Recommended Stories For You
"I've seen a good deal of improvement on our defensive approach — we're not making nearly as many mistakes," Teevan said. "Offensively, we have a really good approach at the plate. We have a very big series ahead of us this weekend against Lowry and we're looking forward to the series."
The Vikings, 9-5 (8-1 in conference), will take on the 5-9 (5-4) Buckaroos in a three games series at home starting this afternoon with a Saturday doubleheader.
Trending In: Local Sports
- South Tahoe boys b-ball falls to Desert Pines in Div. I-A State semifinals, ending postseason run
- Clear Creek: A gem in the Tahoe forest
- Doubles time: Record turnout brings high level of competition to 33rd annual Tahoe Tennis Classic
- South Tahoe FC U-15 Outlaws girls soccer finishes second at Bay Area tournament
- South Tahoe Futbol Club U-18 Hawks, U-12 Tough girls soccer teams deliver championships at Come Up For Air
- Lake Tahoe weather: Another winter storm could bring several feet of snow in Sierra high country
- Couple to get $2.5M after police called abduction by Lake Tahoe lawyer a hoax
- El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office IDs bodies recovered from Fallen Leaf Lake
- Lake Tahoe ski resorts report over 4 feet of snow in 48 hours
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3 feet of snow at some ski resorts; another 1-3 feet of snow possible