Sierra Lutheran tops Whittell
January 26, 2017
The Whittell High School girls basketball team (5-14 overall, 3-4 in the division) faced the top ranked Sierra Lutheran Falcons (10-5 overall, 5-0 in the division) this past Tuesday.
Sierra Lutheran started the game on top and never looked back, winning with a final score of 46-29. The Warriors played hard throughout the game, which included a lively fourth quarter, but the late surge wasn't enough to overtake the league-leading Falcons.
Whittell High head coach Robin Caires was very optimistic about her team's performance.
"We're a young program. With this being my first year as coach, I'm very happy with the job we did holding the top team in the division to 46 points," Caires said. "I'm very optimistic about the way the team is performing in this rebuilding year."
Whittell was led by senior Ali Copsy (11 points) and sophomore Brianna Johns (nine points).
The Whittell girls will travel to Nixon, Nevada on Saturday, Jan. 28, for a conference matchup against Pyramid Lake. The game is scheduled to start at 1 p.m.
Trending In: Local Sports
- Tahoe Grizzlies make hockey history at state
- Clear Creek: A gem in the Tahoe forest
- Norton takes overall crown in Far West Tech Finals at Squaw Valley
- Silver State Volleyball Club’s 18 Mizuno team takes first at National Bid Tournament, headed to nationals
- South Tahoe boys b-ball falls to Desert Pines in Div. I-A State semifinals, ending postseason run
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3 feet of snow at some ski resorts; another 1-3 feet of snow possible
- UPDATE: Traffic on US 50 moving once again
- UPDATE: Crystal Bay, Third Creek avalanche alert upgraded to stage 2
- Bagel shop opens inside Blue Angel Café in South Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe ski resorts report over 4 feet of snow in 48 hours