South Tahoe Vikings continue impressive season
January 31, 2017
The South Tahoe Vikings continued their dominance in 3A league play this season with back-to-back wins.
On Friday, the Vikings traveled to Fernley to take on the Vaqueros, who were tied for second place in league play with the Vikings at the time. The atmosphere felt like that of a playoff game.
Harry Moses-Chakmakis was on a mission scoring 24 points and pulling down six rebounds. McCallan Castles, who made KTVN Channel 2 News for an alley-oop slam set up by Tommy Cefalu, finished with nine points, five assists and four blocks. Cefalu, Ruzzel Valiente and Noah Jackson each scored eight points.
In the end, South Tahoe came out on top defeating the Vaqueros 64-61 to take sole possession of second place.
The next day, South Tahoe traveled to Dayton for another 3A matchup.
The Vikings outscored the Dust Devils 19-6 in the fourth quarter to break open a tight game and grab a 61-40 win.
Recommended Stories For You
Moses-Chakmakis led the way for the Vikings with 16 points, while Castles had 14 points, seven rebounds and three blocks. Jackson ended the game with 14 points and four rebounds, and Cefalu added 10 points and seven rebounds in the lopsided win.
The Vikings improved their record to 14-5 on the season and 9-2 in league play following the win against Dayton.
The team was slated to travel to Truckee Tuesday, Jan. 31, after press deadline. Later in the week, the team will travel to Sparks Friday before hosting Lowry Saturday.
Trending In: Local Sports
- Tahoe Grizzlies make hockey history at state
- Clear Creek: A gem in the Tahoe forest
- Norton takes overall crown in Far West Tech Finals at Squaw Valley
- Silver State Volleyball Club’s 18 Mizuno team takes first at National Bid Tournament, headed to nationals
- South Tahoe boys b-ball falls to Desert Pines in Div. I-A State semifinals, ending postseason run
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3 feet of snow at some ski resorts; another 1-3 feet of snow possible
- UPDATE: Traffic on US 50 moving once again
- UPDATE: Crystal Bay, Third Creek avalanche alert upgraded to stage 2
- Bagel shop opens inside Blue Angel Café in South Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe ski resorts report over 4 feet of snow in 48 hours