Vikings take 2 of 2 from Railroaders
April 1, 2014
The South Lake Tahoe Vikings won both games of Friday's double-header against Sparks.
In the first game, South Tahoe beat the Railroaders by a score of 11-1. The game ended after five innings due to the 10-run mercy rule.
Senior Liam Loftis, coming back from a back injury, pitched all five innings with four hits, one walk and eight strikeouts.
"(Loftis) did a great job and threw a bunch of strikes for us," said head coach Starbuck Teevan.
Junior Aaron Phister went one for one with one walk and one RBI and sophomore Paul Hoefer went two for two. Seniors Sergio Burgueno and Dominic Diana each went one for two with two RBIs. Junior Kolby Eymann went one for two with two walks, one RBI and one stolen base.
"We had contributions from everyone in the lineup," said Teevan. "We played a lot of small ball in the first game which helped the offense. It was over pretty fast."
Recommended Stories For You
In the second game, Sparks took an early lead, but the Vikings' base-running helped them get ahead. Their 7-5 win improved their record to 4-1 in the league and 5-5 overall.
"We took advantage of their mistakes by advancing to the base. We used our speed," said Teevan.
Diana went two for two with two RBIs and two walks. Burgueno was one for three with one RBI, junior River Quinn was one for one and Eymann went two for three with a double, a triple and one RBI.
"Eymann sparked the offense in the fifth inning for us," said Teevan.
Dakota Lynch pitched a complete game with seven strikeouts, three walks, eight hits and four earned runs.
The third game of the series was postponed due to Saturday's snowstorm and a makeup date has yet to be announced.
The South Tahoe JV baseball team traveled to Sparks on Saturday for a double header.
The Vikings swept the Railroaders by winning the first game 20-6 and the second 18-6.
In the first game, Moises Cueves pitched a complete game and struck out eight batters.
Justin Cain went three for three with a double and three RBIs, Caleb Rusell was three for four with three RBIs and Logan Brewer went two for four with a double and four RBIs. The team combined for a total of 15 hits.
In the second game, Brewer earned the win on the mound as he and Chaz Ross combined to strike out nine hitters.
Cain was two for three with two doubles and four RBIs, Russel went two for four with a double and two RBIs and Zach Shearer went two for three.
On Saturday, varsity travels to Truckee for a double-header against the 1-7 Wolverines while JV has a home double-header against Truckee.
Trending In: Local Sports
- Bulls, Zephyr Cove Resort win Kahle basketball championships
- STHS soccer team loaded with seniors
- South Tahoe Futbol Club U-18 Hawks, U-12 Tough girls soccer teams deliver championships at Come Up For Air
- Big BMX qualifier
- Breaking the ice: South Lake Tahoe Vikings hockey delivers Northern California championship a decade in the making
- DA: Former Lake Tahoe Humane Society director pleads guilty to embezzlement
- Traps reignite controversy over Nevada Department of Wildlife bear management
- Ken’s Tires Center celebrates 40 years in South Lake Tahoe
- Douglas County conducts online survey on vacation home rentals
- El Dorado County supervisor candidates find some common ground on VHR regulations