Nelson, Leist Jr. pass qualifying test at Genoa Lakes
May 20, 2003
Two golfers took the first step to qualifying for the U.S. Open on Monday at the Golf Club at Genoa Lakes.
David Nelson won the local qualifying event with a 3-under-par 69, finishing a stroke ahead of second qualifier Bob Leist Jr. Both men advance to sectional qualifying next month.
Leist Jr. won a playoff with first alternate Edward Pfister for the second spot.
Other alternates in order of finish are Nate Kelly, 71; Reno’s Steve Sheehan, 71; and Reno’s Thomas Dawson, 71. A three-hole playoff decided the second qualifying spot and the order of alternates.
Section qualifying is June 2 at El Caballero Country Club in Tarzana, Calif. A week later the U.S. Open unfolds at Olympia Fields Country Club in Olympia Fields, Ill.
Trending In: Sports
- Incline Village freshman Jenkins wins state Class 2A title in high jump
- STMS boys cross country wins 7th grade race at Tah-Neva Championships
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- Lake Tahoe School excels at track, field league championships
- Susie Lake: 8 miles of bliss in Desolation Wilderness