Norton boys excel on water
August 30, 2005
Hughston and Austin Norton both recently completed successful water skiing seasons, including a top finish at United States nationals for one of the Stateline athletes.
Both Nortons competed at the Western Regional Water Ski Championships last month in Vancouver, Wash. In the 10-12 year-old division, Austin took 14th place in slalom and sixth in trick.
Hughston Norton, though, skied his personal best at regionals, passing five buoys at 30 mph in the slalom and earning third place in the 9-and-under division. Landing on the podium automatically qualified 10-year-old Hughston Norton for nationals in West Palm Beach, Fla., where he finished 12th overall.
Then earlier this month, Austin Norton was the only athlete in a jumping competition in Idaho. It was also Austin Norton’s first time competing in jumping. Most kids his age haven’t begun jumping yet, but he recorded a jump of 55 feet.
The Norton brothers are both Heavenly Ski Foundation skiers who are looking forward to another winter in Lake Tahoe.
“I think they’re a little more competitive in snow skiing, but I think the enjoy the warm weather that comes along with water skiing,” said their father Mark Norton. “It’s hard to stay competitive in water skiing coming from Tahoe because you’re going against guys that are competing year-round in places like Bakersfield and Florida.”
Recommended Stories For You
South Tahoe tennis fund-raiser this Friday
A fund-raiser for the South Tahoe boys’ tennis team will be held Friday starting at noon at the Zephyr Cove Tennis Center.
The Vikings will play exhibition matches against members of the Zephyr Cove club. During the matches, coach Kyle Horvath will be accepting donations for the rest of the Vikings’ season as he said the team is already over budget.
Friday will also be the first day of the team raffle. Tickets will be sold through Sept. 8, when prizes from rounds of golf to free dinners to tennis apparel will be given out. For more information on the fund-raiser, contact Horvath at (775) 901-0661.
Chevy’s fund-raiser to benefit football team
Help support the South Tahoe Vikings’ football team by inviting your friends and family to dine at Chevy’s on Thursday from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Chevy’s will donate 15 percent of the proceeds. You must present a corresponding flyer in order for the STHS football program to receive credit. Flyers can be obtained from any of the STHS football coaches or by calling Mark Garratt (530) 542-3778.
The STHS football team is raising money to help pay its transportation fees for the coming season.
Trending In: Sports
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- South Tahoe sends nearly a dozen swimmers to state meet
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely