Orlich guides team to state finals
March 13, 2006
Tribune and Internet reports
It took 11 years for Tom Orlich to guide South Tahoe High into a Nevada state boys’ basketball championship game.
The road to state has been a lot shorter in California for Orlich, now in his fourth year at Clovis West High near Fresno. Orlich and his Golden Eagles advanced to the CIF Division I championship game with a 55-42 victory over Los Alamitos in the Southern Section final on Saturday night in Los Angeles.
Clovis West (30-2) will meet De La Salle-Concord, the Northern Section champ, at 8 p.m. Saturday at Arco Arena in Sacramento.
The Golden Eagles trailed by seven points in a first quarter that saw Alamitos take advantage of its superior height, but Clovis West battled back with a strong defensive effort. Clovis West finally overtook Los Alamitos by the end of the third quarter and finally shook the Griffins inside the final minute of play.
“Our kids just had a mind-set of not backing off,” Orlich told the Fresno Bee. “They just were unrelenting.”
Trending In: Sports
- Lake Tahoe snowpack doubles in March — and more on the way
- Lake Tahoe weather: Another winter storm could bring several feet of snow in Sierra high country
- Update: No sign of missing Bear Valley skier
- Lake Tahoe weather: Winter storm warning, flood watch take effect Wednesday
- El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office IDs bodies recovered from Fallen Leaf Lake