Otomo helps Viking girls earn 4th at state swim meet
May 23, 2018
South Tahoe's Alexandra Otomo came within a couple of seconds of taking down the defending champion in the 100-yard freestyle Saturday, May 19, at the state championships.
Otomo even set a personal best by over 2 seconds (55.63 seconds), but it still wasn't enough to beat Incline star senior Kate Rye, who claimed her second straight title.
Otomo was forced to settle for second place to lead the Viking girls to a fourth-place finish at the Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association Class 3A State Swimming Championships at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
South Tahoe collected 36 points, which put the Vikings behind state champ Boulder City (170), Truckee (150) and Adelson (46) and ahead of 11 other schools.
Otomo was also part of two relay teams that placed in the top four.
Otomo, along with Hannah Lucas, Jessie Brown and Hannah Trew, took fourth in the 4×200 medley relay. Otomo also teamed with Lucas, Brown and Madelynn Evans to claim third in the 4×400 free relay.
Recommended Stories For You
South Tahoe had a boys relay team compete in two events and gather 14 points to finish ninth out of 15 teams.
Owen Slater, Mark Allen, Tevan Martorana and Tristan Klasko came in fifth in the 4×200 free relay and were sixth in the 4×400 free relay.
Correction: This story originally had the wrong location of the event.
Trending In: Sports
- Lake Tahoe roads: Slide causes traffic hold on US 50; I-80 and Mt Rose Highway closed (updated)
- Lake Tahoe roads: I-80 closed, chain requirements in effect on highways (updated)
- Lake Tahoe weather: Rain to turn to snow today; storm warning remains in effect
- Lake Tahoe ski resorts receive nearly 3 feet of snow in 24 hours
- Winter storm could bring 3 feet of snow to Lake Tahoe during Presidents Day weekend