Pinson, Knight lead Vikes to classic win
December 3, 2003
By Jared Green
Tribune staff writer
Tiffany Pinson finally got some help and the Vikings came away from their first game of the Steele Canyon Holiday Classic with a 50-48 basketball win over the hosts Monday in San Diego.
Pinson and Monica Knight combined to score 40 points, including 19 in the decisive fourth quarter as South Tahoe overcame a five-point deficit.
Vikings’ head coach Chris Proctor has been hoping for Knight to become an offensive force and his patience was rewarded as the sophomore guard finished with 12 points to Pinson’s 28.
“That was what we’ve been hoping for from those two girls,” Proctor said. “If Monica can be productive every night, that will take some of the pressure off of Tiffany.”
Recommended Stories For You
Pinson hit four 3-pointers in the game, but it was offensive rebounding that turned the tide. Both of the Vikings’ guards hit the glass hard in the fourth quarter and converted several three-point plays.
South Tahoe’s full-court trap defense was also effective with Pinson as the linchpin, resulting in some easy baskets for the Vikings. That was enough for Proctor’s team to score 21 points in the final quarter after scoring just 29 in the first three.
“We sort of sputtered for three quarters, but we really came to life in the fourth,” Proctor said. “If we can play a whole game like we did in the fourth quarter, we’ll be a force.”
The Vikings (4-9) play El Cajon Valley tonight at 7:30.
Trending In: Sports
- Heavenly Mountain Resort extends season by 3 weekends
- South Tahoe golfers continue strong start to season
- Heavenly’s backcountry requires common sense, not cell phones
- Lake Tahoe races recognized by nationâ€™s oldest association of running organizations
- Vikings baseball off to hot start, sweeps North Valleys
- Storm could dump up to 2 feet of snow at higher elevations around Lake Tahoe
- Nevada state snowplow driver was high on meth during wreck on Mount Rose Highway
- Lake Tahoe ski resorts receive several inches of new snow
- South Lake Tahoe apartment building remains non-compliant; city could seek legal resolution
- 6 burger spots to try around Lake Tahoe