Pop Warner teams post shutouts
September 13, 2005
Two South Lake Tahoe Pop Warner teams opened their seasons with shutout victories last weekend.
The Junior Peewees christened football on the new Community Playfields with a 30-0 throttling of the Reno Falcons last Friday night. No other details from the game were available at press time.
On Saturday, despite several last-day location and time changes, the Peewees shut out the North Tahoe Rams 26-0 at Incline High School in Incline Village.
Rigel Garman scored two touchdowns and made one of the Peewees three interceptions.
“I was very pleased with the performance of this team and all of its players. This was a great way to start a season,” said Peewees head coach David Slater. “The offense was powerful and the defense overwhelming holding North Tahoe to 36 total rushing yards.”
Cody Shindelbower did his best to impersonate the ferocious linebacker in “Fast Times at Ridgemont High.” Shindelbower was a force on defense, sacking the quarterback three times, picking off a pass, recovering a fumble and making seven tackles. Tyler Slater also picked off a pass for the winners.
Recommended Stories For You
Joebacci Zanetell led South Lake Tahoe with eight tackles and was followed by Slater, Shindelbower and Dylan Puleri with seven. Hunter Lau had six, Tyler Nesbitt five, Garman and Marcus Dabash four, Brandon Jones three and Jamie Yelles and Marshall Curtzwiler two each.
Garman led the Peewees in rushing with 90 yards on 14 carries, and Austin Buyak had 13 rushing yards, including a TD, and a pair of conversion runs.
Quarterback Tyler Slater rushed for 10 yards and passed for 45 yards and touchdown. His touchdown was a 45-yard hookup with Connor Yingling.
The Peewees will try to make it two straight tonight when the Reno Panthers come to town for a 6 p.m. game at the Community Playfields.
Three other local Pop Warner teams opened their seasons last weekend. Douglas defeated the South Lake Tahoe Midgets 41-6 and the Tiny Mites and Mitey Mites debuted with nonscoring games against Reno Little Raiders and Reno Lions, respectively.
Other games scheduled for this weekend are the 1-0 Junior Peewees playing host to the Feather River Tigers today at 8 p.m. at the Community Playfields, the Tiny Mites clash with the Carson Silver at 6 p.m. tonight at Governors Field in Carson City and the Midgets travel to Truckee to play the Wolverines on Saturday at 4 p.m.
Trending In: Sports
- Lady Vikings soccer crushing league opponents
- Incline netters cruise to 3 league wins, stay unbeaten
- Preps roundup: Viking volleyers win 2 of 3; Buchholz sets personal best
- Incline football gives strong effort, but overrun by Pershing County
- South Tahoe boys’ soccer latest to fall against 3A newcomer North Valleys
- DA: Former Lake Tahoe Humane Society director pleads guilty to embezzlement
- Traps reignite controversy over Nevada Department of Wildlife bear management
- Ken’s Tires Center celebrates 40 years in South Lake Tahoe
- Douglas County conducts online survey on vacation home rentals
- El Dorado County supervisor candidates find some common ground on VHR regulations