Pop Warner teams post shutouts
September 13, 2005
Two South Lake Tahoe Pop Warner teams opened their seasons with shutout victories last weekend.
The Junior Peewees christened football on the new Community Playfields with a 30-0 throttling of the Reno Falcons last Friday night. No other details from the game were available at press time.
On Saturday, despite several last-day location and time changes, the Peewees shut out the North Tahoe Rams 26-0 at Incline High School in Incline Village.
Rigel Garman scored two touchdowns and made one of the Peewees three interceptions.
“I was very pleased with the performance of this team and all of its players. This was a great way to start a season,” said Peewees head coach David Slater. “The offense was powerful and the defense overwhelming holding North Tahoe to 36 total rushing yards.”
Cody Shindelbower did his best to impersonate the ferocious linebacker in “Fast Times at Ridgemont High.” Shindelbower was a force on defense, sacking the quarterback three times, picking off a pass, recovering a fumble and making seven tackles. Tyler Slater also picked off a pass for the winners.
Recommended Stories For You
Joebacci Zanetell led South Lake Tahoe with eight tackles and was followed by Slater, Shindelbower and Dylan Puleri with seven. Hunter Lau had six, Tyler Nesbitt five, Garman and Marcus Dabash four, Brandon Jones three and Jamie Yelles and Marshall Curtzwiler two each.
Garman led the Peewees in rushing with 90 yards on 14 carries, and Austin Buyak had 13 rushing yards, including a TD, and a pair of conversion runs.
Quarterback Tyler Slater rushed for 10 yards and passed for 45 yards and touchdown. His touchdown was a 45-yard hookup with Connor Yingling.
The Peewees will try to make it two straight tonight when the Reno Panthers come to town for a 6 p.m. game at the Community Playfields.
Three other local Pop Warner teams opened their seasons last weekend. Douglas defeated the South Lake Tahoe Midgets 41-6 and the Tiny Mites and Mitey Mites debuted with nonscoring games against Reno Little Raiders and Reno Lions, respectively.
Other games scheduled for this weekend are the 1-0 Junior Peewees playing host to the Feather River Tigers today at 8 p.m. at the Community Playfields, the Tiny Mites clash with the Carson Silver at 6 p.m. tonight at Governors Field in Carson City and the Midgets travel to Truckee to play the Wolverines on Saturday at 4 p.m.
Trending In: Sports
- Diamond Peak Ski Resort kicks off early bird 2018-19 season pass sale
- Sierra-at-Tahoe 2018-19 season passes available for purchase
- Heavenly’s backcountry requires common sense, not cell phones
- Registration begins Saturday for Pop Warner football and cheer
- Sierra-at-Tahoe hosts Vans Hi-Standard Series finale Saturday
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3 feet of snow at some ski resorts; another 1-3 feet of snow possible
- UPDATE: Traffic on US 50 moving once again
- Lake Tahoe ski resorts report over 4 feet of snow in 48 hours
- UPDATE: Crystal Bay, Third Creek avalanche alert upgraded to stage 2
- Bagel shop opens inside Blue Angel Café in South Lake Tahoe