Short-handed Viking golf team places fifth
April 19, 2005
Kevin Fannan shot a 39 and finished second overall in leading a short-handed Vikings’ golf team at a Sierra Division match that lasted only nine holes because of snow at Rosewood Lakes on Tuesday in Reno.
South Tahoe finished fifth out of six teams with a score of 237. Carson won the match with a 206 and was followed by Reno (210), Douglas (232), North Valleys (235), South Tahoe and Wooster (288).
Brandon Bruzzese shot a 47, Tom Mooney a 49, Drew Blair a 50 and Teddy Kosciolek a 52 for the Vikings, who are still tied for third place in the division despite the fifth-place finish on Tuesday.
“It wasn’t that devastating for us to finish fifth,” said South Tahoe coach Mike Patterson. “We were missing some of our guys because of spring break. I am thankful for the guys who did show up today on their spring break. Without them, we probably wouldn’t have a very good chance for the playoffs.”
One of the members the Vikings were missing was No. 1 player Alex Yure, who was in Arizona visiting a college. South Tahoe has two division events left before the Northern 4A regional tournament begins. It remains in a three-way race with Douglas and North Valleys for the final two playoff spots into the zone tournament. Reno and Carson are in solid positions to qualify.
The Vikings’ final two division tournaments are at two familiar Carson Valley courses, the first being next Tuesday’s match at the club course at the Genoa Lakes Golf Club and Resort, previously known as Genoa Lakes Golf Club. The second of the two events is the following week at the resort course, previously known as Sierra Nevada Golf Ranch.
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- STMS boys cross country wins 7th grade race at Tah-Neva Championships
- Incline Village freshman Jenkins wins state Class 2A title in high jump
- South Tahoe’ Holmes finishes senior year with 3rd place at state meet
- Otomo helps Viking girls earn 4th at state swim meet
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe
- Sustainable Community Alliance submits signatures for initiative to maintain South Lake Tahoe VHR cap
- South Lake Tahoe police investigating robbery at credit union
- Forest Service: Spread the word on Leave No Trace ethics in Lake Tahoe