Simon back in ring
August 13, 2008
After a three-month delay, Simon Ruvalcaba and Rodrigo Aguiar are set to fight on Friday at The Orleans Casino in Las Vegas.
Aguiar (4-3, three KOs) of Torrance, Calif., pulled out of a scheduled May bout with Ruvalcaba due to personal reasons.
Coincidentally, Ruvalcaba (4-9-2) could have withdrawn from their makeup date. The South Tahoe High graduate suffered ankle and knee injuries that prevented him from doing roadwork for three weeks.
“It happened early enough that I could resume training, plus I need to show him that a man doesn’t pull out. The show must go on,” Ruvalcaba said.
The postponed fight came at a disappointing time for Ruvalcaba since he had gained momentum by earning a split decision over Joe Calabria in March.
Aguiar arrived early in Las Vegas for Friday’s bout, and has been cast as the favorite.
Recommended Stories For You
“He has swayed the votes of the local press, who is all of a sudden overwhelmingly picking him not only to win, but they expect him to knock me out,” Ruvalcaba said. “But that’s why we play the game, so we’ll see. (I’ll) go in there and fight my heart out.”
Trending In: Sports
- Lake Tahoe weather: Another winter storm could bring several feet of snow in Sierra high country
- El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office IDs bodies recovered from Fallen Leaf Lake
- Update: No sign of missing Bear Valley skier
- Lake Tahoe snowpack doubles in March — and more on the way
- Couple to get $2.5M after police called abduction by Lake Tahoe lawyer a hoax