Kirkwood Mountain Resort opening today
November 22, 2017
Four chairs and 350 acres of terrain will be available Wednesday, Nov. 22, when Kirkwood Mountain Resort opens for the 2017-18 season.
Chairs 1, 5, 6 and 11 are scheduled to start churning at 9 a.m. Chair 1 will access easier terrain while the other three, including the speedy chair 6, will offer skiers and riders more difficulty.
Kirkwood joins Heavenly Mountain Resort and Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows, Mount Rose Ski Tahoe, Boreal Mountain Resort and Soda Springs on the list of resorts in the Lake Tahoe area open for the season.
Sierra-At-Tahoe, located about 12 miles west of South Lake Tahoe off U.S. 50, has no official opening date but is staying positive.
The team there has come up with their “Theory of Shredativity,” which includes positive vibes that will hopefully bring one more cold, strong snowstorm …
Recommended Stories For You
Like all resorts, Sierra needs snow. The team there has come up with their "Theory of Shredativity," which includes positive vibes that will hopefully bring one more cold, strong snowstorm covering the base similar to the summit, which has about 3 feet of snow, according to Thea Hardy with Sierra-at-Tahoe.
Northstar California Resort north of Lake Tahoe is scheduled to open on Thanksgiving Day, according to its website.
New at Kirkwood this year is the Red Cliff's Family Lodge that will offer special activities and themes on Friday and Saturday each week during the season. Each Saturday will be movie night with popcorn, snacks, beer, wine, s'mores and games. Families can participate in activities such as Family Feud night and Ski Trivia night to name a couple.
Trending In: Sports
- Lady Coyotes advance, receive surprise after drubbing Evergreen Valley
- Heavenly, Kirkwood and Northstar ski resorts announce 2018-19 opening dates
- South Lake Tahoe’s Jamie Anderson named to 2018-19 US Snowboard Team
- Lady Coyotes angry at playoff seed, ready for Evergreen Saturday in 1st round
- Heavenly, Northstar push back opening days to Nov. 23; Kirkwood to announce new date
- ELECTION UPDATE: Measure T’s lead falls to 47 votes in South Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe Regional Planning Agency approves US 50 South Shore Community Revitalization Project
- Tahoe Keys Marina vows legal action after City Council rejects land swap appeal
- ELECTION UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe’s Measure T passing by 58 votes
- South Lake Tahoe man jailed after allegedly selling pot to minors