Smith leaves Carson, Reno runners well behind
October 8, 2008
RENO – There was no mistaking the start-to-finish winner of a five-school cross country race Wednesday at North Valleys High School.
South Tahoe High junior Kelsey Smith, battling a low-energy condition since the beginning of the season, looked more like her usual self in winning a rugged 3.1-mile race in 21 minutes, 22 seconds.
“It was real gratifying to see Kelsey run so comfortably like that,” said STHS coach Dan Wilvers.
Not even a warm fall afternoon or steep course slowed down the defending state champion. Smith won by 13 seconds over teammate Shelby McIntyre, a freshman. The Vikings, however, needed some help from a pack of teammates to hold off Carson in the dual scoring.
T.J. Zaccor was eighth (23:54), Kira Smith placed 10th (24:16) and Lisa Johnston came in 12th (24:24) as the Vikings (5-0) remained unbeaten in Sierra Division duals with a 25-30 triumph over Carson.
Carson’s Yvonne Hollett finished a strong third in 21:45 and was followed by teammates Jenny Mital in fourth (22:07) and Amanda Gordon in fifth (22:33). But South Tahoe was able to get its fifth runner, Johnston, across the finish line well ahead of Carson’s.
Recommended Stories For You
“Regionals are really up in the air. One of us is going to get kicked out,” said Wilvers, noting that only two schools will advance to state from the Northern 4A, meaning Galena, South Tahoe or Carson will likely be left out of the final meet next month.
The South Tahoe boys perplexed coach Dominique Westlake by easing off more than expected in preparation for Saturday’s big meet at Clovis.
“We don’t go for a run and not compete. It was embarrassing,” Westlake said.
As a result, Carson shut out the Vikings, winning the Sierra dual 15-50. Senators’ junior Richard Shroy cruised to a 16-second victory with his 5K time of 17:54. Carson placed first, third, fourth, fifth, seventh, eighth and ninth before the first STHS runner – Kyle Wilkinson – crossed the finish line.
“We were trying to save something, and we also wanted to represent Tahoe in a good way. Our top runners went a little too easy,” said STHS senior Rand Norberg. “The Clovis meet has been our main focus since Stanford.”
The loss dropped the Vikings to 3-2 in Sierra duals with division duals against Galena and Wooster remaining on the schedule.
PREP CROSS COUNTRY RESULTS
At North Valleys High School, Reno
SIERRA DIVISION DUAL
Team scores: South Tahoe 25, Carson 30.
Individual 5K results
1. Kelsey Smith, South Tahoe, 21 minutes, 22 seconds; 2. Shelby McIntyre, ST, 21:35; 3. Yvonne Hollett, Carson, 21:45; 4. Jenny Mital, C, 22:07; 5. Amanda Gordon, C, 22:33; 6. Rebecca Fisher, North Valleys, 22:40; 7. Demery Kirsch, Reno, 22:40; 8. T.J. Zaccor, ST, 23:54; 9. Amanda Reilly, R, 24:13; 10. Kira Smith, ST, 24:16.
11. Erika Sosa, C, 24:73; 12. Lisa Johnston, ST, 24:24; 13. Laura Sosa, C, 24:34; 14. Morgan Cauerhill, R, 24:37; 15. Abigail Stuver, R, 24:39; 16. Abigail Griswold, R, 24:42; 17. Camille Stuver, R, 25:08; 18. Adrienne Van Antwerp, R, 25:50; 19. Haleigh Ward, C, 25:53; 20. Sarah Benedict, St, 25:57.
Other South Tahoe results
23. Kaelyn Dion, 26:09; 24. Karly Arroues, 26:31; 26. Maddie Dant, 27:10; Becca Sanders, 27:15.
Team scores: Carson 15, South Tahoe 50.
Individual 5K results
1. Richard Shroy, Carson, 17 minutes, 54 seconds; 2. Brandon Nied, Reno, 18:10; 3. Nick Schlager, C, 18:37; 4. Brent Moyle, C, 18:52; 5. Logan Philippi, C, 19:25; 6. Zach Speth, R, 19:59; 7. Brandon Buonacorsi, C, 20:14; 8. Evan Richards, C, 20:25; 9. David McMasters, C, 20:34; 10. Russell Smithson, R, 20:39.
11. Cody Freeman, R, 20:40; 12. Kyle Wilkinson, South Tahoe, 20:43; 13. Jordan Yingling, ST, 20:44; 14. Austin Pierce, ST, 20:45; 15. Joe Abittan, R, 20:49; 16. Griffin Lerude, R, 20:52; 17. Erich Baumann, ST, 20:54; 18. Rand Norberg, ST, 21:00; 19. Justin Dalton, ST, 21:18; 20. Joshn Van Sickle, C, 21:26.
Other South Tahoe results
22. Zildijan Borromeo, 21:30; 23. Ben Sullivan, 21:32; 24. David Wise, 21:48; 27. Christian Pielaet, 21:53; 32. Will Caglia, 22:45; 40. Ram So-Oney, 24:13; 43. Adam Kern, 24:43; 44. Jake Francis, 24:50.
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- South Tahoe’ Holmes finishes senior year with 3rd place at state meet
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely