South Shore’s Baker seeking sponsorship after successful moguls season
April 24, 2015
Taryn Baker has a legitimate excuse for missing so much class her senior year: She was busy smashing moguls courses across the country.
Baker, born and raised on the South Shore and s former member of Heavenly's freestyle team, recently wrapped up a successful season highlighted by a second-place finish in dual moguls at Junior Nationals in Park City, Utah.
Competing independently, the 17-year-old senior at Incline High went on to place 14th overall at the U.S. Freestyle National Championships in Steamboat Springs, Colo. while rubbing shoulders with Olympic gold medalists the likes of Hannah Kearney.
Baker recorded a number of other top finishes in regional competitions throughout the season and fared well in her first year on the NorAm tour.
She finished first overall at the Eric Nagette-Lowe Memorial Classic at Heavenly and first in the Telluride (Colo.) regional competition. On the NorAm tour, she placed 13th in NorAm Cup Finals in Killington, Vt., and was 14th in duals at the Deer Valley (Colo.) NorAm Cup.
And yet, she still managed to complete her challenging load of AP courses at Incline, thanks to the school's ski academy. The academy allows winter student-athletes to miss school for training and travel in exchange for a customized program.
Recommended Stories For You
With high school graduation nearly upon her, however, Baker remains unsure about her future. She's well on the U.S. Freestyle Team's radar but must acquire sponsors in order to continue competing, said her mother, Staci.
Anyone interested in sponsoring Baker should contact her at email@example.com.
Trending In: Sports
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- South Tahoe sends nearly a dozen swimmers to state meet
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar
- Lake Tahoe weather: Rain, thunderstorms, warmer temperatures in forecast