South Tahoe FC Outlaws win Davis tournament in OT
October 30, 2014
DAVIS, Calif. — South Tahoe Futbol Club's Outlaws, a competitive under-14 girls team, brought home the cup from last weekend's Lily Nisen Memorial Tournament with a perfect 4-0 record. The Outlaws beat Davis Apex '01 in a shootout Sunday to capture the championship.
The girls dominated pool play matches with a pair of 6-0 victories against teams from West Marin and Peninsula Soccer Club. In the semifinals, the girls persevered with a 2-0 victory over the Galaxy — and then found themselves against hometown Davis Apex '01 in the championship game Sunday.
Davis had only given up one goal during the first three matches of the tournament, and the score was knotted 1-1 at the end of 70 minutes. The game then went to two five-minute overtime periods to decide the winner of regulation play.
With two minutes to play in the second overtime, South Tahoe Middle School eighth grader Lillie McGuire found the net to put the Outlaws up 2-1. With just seconds remaining, Davis tied the match at 2-2 off of a free kick.
The penalty kick shootout required nine different kickers to decide the match, with the Outlaws prevailing 6-5. Nikki Cruz converted the game-winning penalty kick to push the Outlaws ahead while Alexandra Palant made three clutch saves during the shootout to clinch the victory and empty the sidelines of players and parents to celebrate.
Trending In: Sports
- STMS boys cross country wins 7th grade race at Tah-Neva Championships
- Incline Village freshman Jenkins wins state Class 2A title in high jump
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- Lake Tahoe School excels at track, field league championships
- Otomo helps Viking girls earn 4th at state swim meet
- South Lake Tahoe police investigating robbery at credit union
- Forest Service: Spread the word on Leave No Trace ethics in Lake Tahoe
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe
- Study finds bears hibernating less with warmer winters, access to human food (video)
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail