South Tahoe FC Outlaws win Davis tournament in OT
October 31, 2014
DAVIS, Calif. — South Tahoe Futbol Club's Outlaws, a competitive under-14 girls team, brought home the cup from last weekend's Lily Nisen Memorial Tournament with a perfect 4-0 record.
The Outlaws beat Davis Apex '01 in a shootout Sunday to capture the championship.
The girls dominated pool play matches with a pair of 6-0 victories against teams from West Marin and Peninsula Soccer Club. In the semifinals, the girls persevered with a 2-0 victory over the Galaxy — and then found themselves against hometown Davis Apex '01 in the championship game Sunday.
Davis had only given up one goal during the first three matches of the tournament, and the score was knotted 1-1 at the end of 70 minutes. The game then went to two five-minute overtime periods to decide the winner of regulation play.
With two minutes to play in the second overtime, South Tahoe Middle School eighth grader Lillie McGuire found the net to put the Outlaws up 2-1.
With just seconds remaining, Davis tied the match at 2-2 off of a free kick.
Recommended Stories For You
The penalty kick shootout required nine different kickers to decide the match, with the Outlaws prevailing 6-5.
Nikki Cruz converted the game-winning penalty kick to push the Outlaws ahead while Alexandra Palant made three clutch saves during the shootout to clinch the victory and empty the sidelines of players and parents to celebrate.
Trending In: Sports
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- South Tahoe sends nearly a dozen swimmers to state meet
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar
- Candidate Q&A: Kenny Curtzwiler for El Dorado County Supervisor