South Tahoe football heads to North Valleys
October 5, 2018
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. — Games are not played on paper. Nor do statistics really mean anything other than who gains more yards and scores more touchdowns. But looking at South Tahoe's football game Friday night against North Valleys, the Vikings seem to have a good chance at getting win No. 1 this season and ending their winless drought.
The Vikings (0-7, 0-6 3A Northern League), will travel north to Reno to take on North Valleys (1-5, 1-5 Northern), a 4A division school that was allowed to drop down into 3A this year due to lack of gridiron success.
The Panthers won only eight games in the last 10 seasons and own just one victory in six tries this year. But that's one more than South Tahoe and the Vikings would love to get in the win column.
The Vikings aren't worried about who they are playing as much as they are with doing things effectively on both sides of the ball, like playing solid defense and not turning over the ball on offense.
Mental mistakes from a young team, 16 of the 31 on the roster are sophomores, have led to untimely turnovers. But those kids have played almost an entire varsity season and are due to put a complete game together.
Sophomore quarterback Jake Tarwater is among the league leaders in all the passing categories but so far the Vikings haven't scored more than 14 points in a game; they've done that twice.
Recommended Stories For You
Senior ball carrier James Knudsen is having a solid year, averaging over 50 yards per game on the ground and senior receiver Kody Griffis is having an all-league type of season with 44 catches for 687 yards and five touchdowns.
The teams have played three common opponents, including losses to Elko, Spring Creek and Lowry, South Tahoe's last opponent that beat them 32-14, and have similar results.
Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.
Trending In: Sports
- Kirkwood Mountain to open backside, Heavenly Mountain to open California side Saturday
- Incline boys net 4 hoops victories in 4 days at Whittell tournament
- Incline Village volleyball stars Racich, Cohn earn top awards
- Whittell hoops wins 5th straight to open season; host big tournament this week
- Viking boys run up against stiff competition at Wild West Shootout
- TMZ: Tom Cruise in South Lake Tahoe to film scenes for ‘Top Gun’ sequel
- Backcountry skier rescued near Mount Tallac after falling over 200 feet (video)
- Realtor group vows to stay involved, looks ‘forward to continued discussion’ following passage of Measure T
- Lake Tahoe weather: Sunny conditions through weekend, snow possible next week
- Sierra snowpack well above average after storms