South Tahoe hoops falls to Churchill; lands No. 5 seed in playoffs
February 14, 2018
In the end, South Tahoe's loss in its regular season finale Saturday, Feb. 10, to Churchill County didn't mean too much.
The Vikings were going to be the No. 4 or No. 5 seed in the Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association's Class 3A Northern League Boys' Basketball Championships and the road to the title and state playoffs will still go through the top seed and tournament host Elko Indians.
The Vikings were beaten 79-65 by the Greenwave at South Tahoe and will play No. 4 seed Fernley Thursday, Feb. 15, at 8 p.m. in Elko, Nevada.
South Tahoe has played Fernley twice this season and both games came down to the final seconds. The Vikings lost 52-50 Jan. 6 at home and came up short again by two points, 65-63, Feb. 6, on the road.
Should South Tahoe figure out how to beat Fernley, it would play Northern League champion Elko at 8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 16, in the semifinals. The Indians beat the Vikings by 11 points both times they met this season.
Win or lose Thursday night, the Vikings will spend the night in Elko and not make the five hour or so drive back to the basin.
Recommended Stories For You
The top two seeds Elko and Churchill receive first-round byes. In the other side of the six-team, single-elimination bracket, No. 3 Spring Creek will play No. 6 Dayton.
The championship game will be played at 6 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 17.
Trending In: Sports
- Vikings Cain, Galli, Pfister, Schouten to continue athletic careers in college
- Steph Curry returning to Lake Tahoe for American Century Championship celebrity golf
- Hall of Fame pitcher John Smoltz excited for US Senior Open, celebrity golf tournament at Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe Student Athlete of the Month: Pfister helps lead South Tahoe to playoffs
- Tahoe Tribune review: Lime scooters fun, sometimes scary, to ride
- South Lake Tahoe police arrest suspect in possible child sexual assault
- Guest column: VHR ballot initiatives bad for South Lake Tahoe (opinion)
- Guest column: Facts behind South Lake Tahoe VHR initiative (opinion)
- South Lake Tahoe City Council asks for report on VHR initiative
- Summer is here: Tips for spending the season in Tahoe