South Tahoe JV football loses to Elko 23-14
October 21, 2014
The South Tahoe junior varsity football team lost to Elko 23-14 on Friday night at Viking Stadium. The defeat ended a two-game winning streak for the Vikings and dropped their season record to 3-5 overall.
"We were willing to bang with Elko," Vikings head coach Doug Russell said. "It was the hardest-hitting game we've been a part of."
South Tahoe fell behind by two scores early and rallied to tie the game by halftime. The Vikings scored both their touchdowns in the first half — a 12-yard pass from quarterback Tommy Cefalu to receiver Zen Contestable and a strip and 70-yard fumble return by linebacker Dylan Gooding.
The game was still tied 14-14 after a scoreless third quarter, and Elko scored the go-ahead touchdown with 5:48 to play. The Indians secured the win by sacking Cefalu in the end zone for a safety with 1:03 left.
"We came back against one of the best teams in the league, and then circumstances didn't go our way — we battled the whole way through," Russell said. We were all a little let down by the outcome and how their scores came about."
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- South Tahoe’ Holmes finishes senior year with 3rd place at state meet
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely